Tuesday, September 14, 2010

in one take

back in '03 me and the poet a.p. sullivan drove to sf to hear thom gunn read at some dive bar called sweetie's

sweetie's was [is?] located just off north beach and we had some time to kill

we headed up the road a bit to city lights bookstore

when we left city lights night fell like a shroud / sf lit up like a brick of firecrackers

i turned to face the buildings of the financial district

this is why i love cities

my jaw dropped from all that beauty

if i were a filmmaker i would have shot a couple hundred feet just of that view

i can hardly stand it / i swayed under it all

i was new for a while

3 Comments:

At 5:08 AM, Blogger Closely Observed Train Stations said...

At the risk of seeming like some blog stalker - or blawker - awesome poem, Richard.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger John B-R said...

I met Thom Gunn once, years and years ago, maybe in the 70s. I was young so had the nerve to ask him why his poems rhymed at a time when virtually no one else's did. His answer was totally liberating: "Because that's how they come to me."

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger richard lopez said...

thank you, ryan

beautiful response, john, from a poet who went his own way

that reading at sweetie's was a blast, dude looked like an old punk rocker or biker, and after the reading i asked him to sign my copy of the collected, he didn't have a pen so i handed him mine, a pelikan, one of the few writerly fetishes i own, gunn signs my book and proceeds to pocket my pen! i cleared my throat and said, i think that's mine, he laughed, looked at the pelikan and then handed it back

 

Post a Comment

<< Home