Tuesday, June 08, 2010

a few new links

i don't know if a trip to the department of motor vehicles [dmv] is a metaphysical adventure or no. but just sitting for my turn trying to read my book while having one ear on the pa system that is calling out numbers in a soothing, hushed voice, because no i don't want my turn at the dmv to be a missed connection on account that i was too far engrossed in the essays/reviews of martin stannard. so it happened. i had, by law, to appear at the dmv to renew my driver's license, which expires on my birthday tomorrow, and take an eye exam and have my picture taken because the past couple of renewals were by mail. the richard lopez on my old license is not the same guy who looks at me from the mirror. even the clerk said, when i handed her my license, boy that doesn't look like you. we all age, now, don't we.

i'm pleased to announce that i have updated some linkage. look to the right for the evidence. also, jean vengua is back to blogging. that makes me very happy. her blog is found in the links and also by clicking here. now to somehow organize my links. . .

oh, just thought i'd mention a northern irish poet/blogger that i used to read fairly regularly a couple years ago. i googled the blogger's name, ruari mc nally, last night and found his blog. mc nally hasn't updated his blog in over a year. bummer, because i liked reading his short quips about sandwiches, tv viewing habits, the odd bit of verse, and office life. he has a good sense of humor. and i've long had a fascination with northern ireland. what got me in the end as i was reading back into mc nally's archives was a sensation of the quick passage of time. i mean, once upon a time the length of a summer felt like a lifetime. now i the years all blur together. that alone is no bad thing. what floors me and blows my mind is our sense of permanence despite all evidence to the contrary. perhaps i should just say my sense of permanence even if i know that nothing is permanent. what i am doing is my best to go with the flow. lord knows, i am trying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home