Friday, May 28, 2010

the dope

this should be an anti-drug advert on tv

crazy white trash couple

he in a black wife-beater bushy santa claus beard and long stringy grey hair tied in a ponytail

she skinny in faded blue jeans and white t-shirt

whatever the cause they were fighting loud and obnoxious on the corner of alhambra and o st

he grabbed her things and threw them to the sidewalk and started stomping like a pissed-off kindergartner

she screaming something about injustice and god

she runs off clutching what is left of her stuff

he stomps in the other direction toward the flea-pit motel

takes one look at me stops and says, kid, this is my brain on drugs

2 Comments:

At 11:54 AM, Blogger Catalin said...

Bo, I haven't visited your site in ages (a year? more?), having abandoned my own blog in despair. Just stopped by and read this poem which really struck me. Gave me that knot of sympathy/embarrassment in my stomach that I get when I see public displays of private life.

With or without drugs, it seems to me that whether people have a public/private life distinction may be more of a cultural divide than lots of other more overt markers. What do you think?

Hope you're well. I'll try to drop by more often!
Cheers,
Cat

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger richard lopez said...

has a year gone by that quickly cat?! seriously, i can't keep tabs anymore, one year blurring into the next, which only confirms my belief that there is only a continual present, one in which we are always growing older.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home