Wednesday, June 15, 2005

after reading a little, just finished Freakonomics borrowed from my mother-in-law, which I heartily recommend for its authors ability to capture "sense" from "sensational," I surf the web a bit looking for drive-in intermission shorts on dvd. no such freaking luck. there are few and far between mini-collections of these commercials, which had their heyday in the culture of the automobile ca. 1950s-1970s, on disc but none that are only these shorts. fucking bummer.

okay, sure it is a form of nostalgia for these things, but what the hell, since I'm not the only one who suffers so. take for instance this marvelous collection of clips I found tonight. these videos alleviate a bit of the frustration I feel for not finding one disc of drive-in goodies. and why should I feel frustrated? um, because it is summer, feels like summer, and for me that means a night spent under the stars choking down chips and popcorn, washed with beer and breathing in the noxious fumes of exhaust from piece-of-shit vehicles, and to top it off by barely being able to hear the soundtrack of the film from the crackle of the speakers. ah, summer!

it ain't like that no more. so I must look for discs that have just a smidgen of drive-in flavor. and there are those just barely. but come on! surely someone could transfer all those old 33mm and 16mm shorts I know people collect to digital.

well, what to do. indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home