Monday, August 02, 2004

I've been reading Skip Fox for about a year now ever since I found some of his poems at Muse Apprentice Guild and was completely wowed by them. first it was his name, Skip Fox, that attracted me. can't explain it really, but we all are, I think, attracted to certain names. at any rate, his texts are blustery, in-yo-face-type of abstract writing that kept me reading and wanting more of Fox.

so in the mail I received a photcopied zine, FUCK!, published and edited by Lee Thorn from AZ. the mag got my attention both from its title and its DIY presentation: six pages of texts with a staple in the top left-hand corner. in other words, my type of publishing. and here was Fox inside the zine with two outstanding poems that make me want more of him.

check this baby out:

Fig. 24

His mind in
folds

wherein his mind
folds

write it down
first

wherein his mind
folds

his ass in a
wringer

proverbial
mucus or juice

write it down
first

proverbial
mucus or juice

his finger up
his ass

* * *

the couplets and rythms of this poem remind me a little of Creeley, but it is the poem's interrogation of writing crossed with bodily fluids that is pure Fox. the last couplet can be read both as stimulating and stilted, such as the work of writing often can be. but one must "write it down/ first" for it to be either and or, and both. it is a ballsy poem, one that has me hankering for more.

I have two of Fox's books, Adventures of Max & Maxine (Auguste Press 2003) and Fighting Kiwis (Oasis Press 1999). the former has a wonderful drawing of a half-peeled banana by Will Yackulic on its cover, which recalls Warhol's drawing of the same for The Velvet Underground's first album. and like the fans of VU one must actively seek out the work of Skip Fox, but he is worth every effort in the finding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home